Monday, February 18, 2013

And then he slept...

I haven't posted too much on here about Ezra's sleeping habits, or lack thereof.  Probably b/c I'm too busy trying to get him to sleep that I don't have time.  In fact, I don't really post much of what Ezra's up to these days on here and I'm really going to start trying to make a better effort.  Not because you guys really care, but because one day, I will.  I've enjoyed looking back and reading up on what Gage was doing at this same point in his life and some of it I had completely forgotten about.  I can see that he wasn't as good a sleeper as I remember and that he's hated green beans from the beginning.  I posted each and every little thing about Gage because I could and because everything was that much cooler the first time around.

So prior to this last week Ezra has been 'that baby'.  The baby who doesn't like to sleep unless you hold him.  I guess Gage was that baby early on but he never had a rough transition to sleeping in his crib.  We put him there and he liked it and that was it.  Sure we had to do a little sleep training here and there but that was mostly to get him to fall asleep, not all.night.long. We knew E was high maintenance from the beginning but it had gotten to a ridiculous point.  He no longer wanted to sleep AT ALL, even at night unless one of us was holding him. This made me nervous to sleep with him, but sometimes it was the only way.  I asked around at school, thinking I had forgotten something from Gage and all of the other girls that had babies 2 months before Ezra happily reported their babies were sleeping perfectly and mostly through the night.  We had gone through several rounds of putting him down and letting him cry over the last few weeks but I think that lack of consistency was the key.  We had been lazy with a bedtime routine but had tried hard over the last week.  After the weekend at Nana's last week, things just seemed to have gotten worse.  In any case, something happened Monday night (after being up every 45 mins. the night before) and he slept.  Sure, it took him about a half hour to go down and he woke up once, but HE slept.  Better than he had ever slept before. It was glorious.  Tuesday night it happened again- I swore I wouldn't get too excited but on Wed. night, I figured 3 in a row could no longer be a fluke.  So there you have it, the week that Ezra started sleeping....2/11/13.  He was just shy of 5 months old..........

FFwd to Fri. night.  The sleeping ceased.....the 'hold me' reappeared.  Sat. night, it was bad- he went from sleeping a stretch of 6-7 hours early in the week to 2.5 hrs.  It was exhausting again, at least we could be happy that during the week when we had to work he slept.  Then today, I found the culprit.  My sweet 2 days short of 5 month old baby is sprouting his 1st little tooth- 5.5 months earlier than Gage did.  It might be a long road....

1 comment:

kyna... said...

Ugh, I feel your pain momma....Ellie STILL doesn't sleep through the night at 3 years old??
♥ Kyna

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila