Monday, January 28, 2013

4 month well check

Thursday I took Ezra for his 4 month well check.  I was dreading this appointment given the events of the last 2 weeks and his newfound probable food allergy.  I'm not quite sure why, I mean I knew that the doctor wasn't going to tell me that day what he was allergic to or tell me to stop breastfeeding, but she was very positive and didn't seem overly concerned so it made me feel a ton better.  See, this time around I have been keeping up with pumping and Ezra's been gaining lots of weight and so I felt we were in a good place. Then last week, BAM, just like that he starts to break out when eating and only when eating and almost the minute the milk touches his tongue.

I have been keeping a food journal for the last week to try and pinpoint anything that might be the culprit, but to no avail.  Most of what I have read states that the only major thing that he'd get throubh breast milk would be a milk protein allergy, but the dr. says that's not likely.  He should've been allergic from the start and having tummy troubles, too.  She referred me to an allergist to get in to see in the next couple of weeks, so we'll see and I'll keep you posted.  In other news, Ezra weighs at 4 months almost what Gage weighed at 6.  He is a hefty 15lbs, 10oz. (80%ile) and 26'' (60%ile).  Another milk protein allergy side effect is low weight gain...hmmm...not here. 

A large part of what we discussed you can imagine was about his allergy.... to something.  We also discussed eating, sleeping and pooping, the same old stuff.  She said his neck control was great for his age, although Gage's seemed much better and poor Ezzy had to get several shots.  He hardly cried though so it wasn't too terribly bad.  However, the next day he did have a nasty knot from the Dtap shot...boo!  She said he wasn't sleeping as much as he should be, which we know.  All in all, I guess not a bad appt.  I'm just anticipating what will come in the next few months with the allergist.  For now, we aren't starting any solid foods until we figure out what he's allergic to, so it's all me until then.  Luckily, as I said, I'm keeping up with pumping and being productive.  I started this post the day I got back from the doctor and seemed to have much more to say....now, not so much.  Keep you posted....

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a mess!! Hopefully you can get some answers soon from the allergist. Glad to hear he's at a healthy weight and everything! I can't believe he's four months already!!!

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila