Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Safe Haven"


*Disclaimer:  If you are interested in reading this book and don't want to know the end (because I will ruin it), please stop reading now.

In a deviation from the norm, I thought I would post about the most recent book I read.  I know, I know, how predictable that I read Nicholas Sparks, but it is what it is.  Although I enjoy reading, I'm a slow reader. and don't like to think too much while I'm reading.  Therefore, I like to read things I don't have to think hard about and that don't challenge me too much.  And I'm ok with that. 

In saying this, Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author and if you've read his books, you'd know why (based on what I've said above.)  I have loved just about every one of his books and with the exception of The Last Song that was written for a screen play anyway.  In my opinion, they were increasingly getting better so when I saw this book was coming out in the Fall, I preordered it way back mid-Summer.  With a kid and all I didn't get a chance to read it until recently.  I had started it, put it off, read here and there, etc. but over Christmas Break I was determined to finish the book.  I read alot while I was on vacation and really got into the thick of the book.  I was so excited to finish the book and see how it ended and ended up staying up way too late one night when I knew Gage would have me up way too early.

I was SO disappointed!!  I mean, are you kidding me??   It was like a Sixth Sense theme.  She made up the neighbor???  She didn't exist?  I mean, I guess it makes sense when you look at the wine glass, etc. but I'm not really into 'fantasy' per se or just unrealistic stories and then it was supposed to be his late wife??  Maybe a figment of her imagination but not the dead wife....c'mon!  I dunno, I was just kinda bummed.  I should've written this right away when I finished reading it, I was mad for a good 2 days!  The story line was also a bit slower than some of his other books.  Usually I can pick up a book of his and not want to put it down, it wasn't until 2/3rds into this one that I felt that way.  I'm hoping this won't be the end of my love affair with Nicholas Sparks and that his next book will leave me with the warm fuzzy feelings that his others did. 

And if you're interested and haven't read any of his books and like relaxing books that don't make you think too much, I highly recommend "The Guardian" and "The Choice".  They are my favorite!

Any recommendations of similar books you've read?  Anyone else read this book?

1 comment:

Brittany said...

as a nicolas sparks hater, i just dropped by to say HAH! :)

and also, i keep forgetting to tell you - that i love my carmex! thanks again! i'm emailing you later (finally) for sleep training tips. the kid's killing us over here.

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila